Homework Exercise #8 :
You are a Graphic Designer working for the Graphic Design studio. Your Art Director has asked you to create a logo for a non-profit organization. Through symbols or typographic manipulation the logo needs to visually communicate and tell a story about the organization.
The logo needs to be developed in black and white only.
1. Review the three different ways to approach a typographic logo...
Each approach focuses on creating a unique image to represent the client.
A logotype, or wordmark consists of the company or product name depicted in a unique style. Strategies for creating unique or original designs might include:
expressive typographytype forms which have been altered or manipulated to create visual interest or impact.
unique letterformshand-lettered or drawn characters.
accentssymbols or images incorporated in a logotype.
have been redrawn to represent a circuit board.
has been manipulated to become part of a symbol.
The letterforms have
been altered and given accents to symbolize pillars.
Letterforms have been redrawn and given accents to suggest "water".
This logo contains a symbol which illustrates the word.
Initial / Symbol
Logo designs based on company initials help the audience remember the company name. In order to be memorable, initial logos are made distinct or unique by:
- incorporating a symbol.
- using a visual analogy.
- being redrawn or
altered in a meaningful way.
This logo incorporates
a symbol which represents something about the business. Since it
replaces a part of the letterform, it becomes a visual analogy.
In this logo, the
letterform has been redrawn to represent a lowercase "g" as well
as a cap "S".
Logos which combine the strategies listed above can contain more depth of meaning and be more memorable.
have been replaced with a symbol in this unique logotype. Note how the baseline
is cropped to suggest shallow water.
2. Research non-profit organizations, choose one to re-design and determine the story to visually communicate.
3. Sketch as many ideas as possible using the techniques outlined above. If you create an initial symbol, you will need to include the name of the company.
4. Develop your design and provide a PDF for critique in class.
5. After the critique, make the necessary changes. Revisions are due the beginning of the following class. Package native files with a PDF and place on the server space provided.