TYPE & LAYOUT Final Exam :
Corporate Overview Brochure
Scenario: You are a graphic designer working for an in-house corporate department. Your Art Director has asked you to design a capabilities brochure. Using the copy and assets provided you will need to design a eight page / saddle stitched brochure.
1. Download the essential files. Include all elements in brochure (ie: photos, copy, logo).
2. Create and define a modular grid for the publication design page, using a standard paper size of 11"x17". Note: Design can bleed / be trimmed.
3. Incorporate and utilize standard typographic styles for the following:
- grid structure (1 point)
- headline (1 point)
- subheads (1 point)
- drop cap (1 point)
- pull quote(s) (1 point)
- intro / kicker / deck (1 point)
- body text (1 point)
- folio (1 point)
- photo caption (1 point)
- photo credit (1 point)
- hanging indent (1point)
4. As outlined in the textbook "Thinking with Type" Incoporate the following text formatting...
- small caps (1 point)
- tracking (1 point)
- indent and line breaks (1 point)
- space after paragraph (1 point)
- text wrap (1 point)
5. In a subtle manner, incorporate the following design elements...
- Line (1 point)
- Shape (1 point)
- Texture (1 point)
- Value (1 point)
- Spatial Depth (1 point)
- Color (1 point)
- Contrast (1 point)
- Harmony / Unity (1 point)
6. Attend to craftsmanship by...
- Printing high resolution imagery, document edges are trimmed neatly, and folds are aligned
to saddle stitch
Total points possible = 25 points
7. Print out full color saddle stitched document using FEDEX. Approximate costs = $8
- 32 lb Gloss or Matte Bright White Stock
- Booklet Staple (Saddle Stitch)
- Printed two sides
- Full Color
- Press Quality
8. Package file and upload the final PDF to the server for review by your instructor.
9. Place final printed piece on table in CBE Lab.